LEAF Peepers

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A Disappointing Day

Where to begin.  First, I couldn't get the SiriusXM app on my iPhone to stream to the car on my commute into work.  No ad-free Howard.  Then work was an unproductive stream of meetings and interruptions.  Nothing special there.  Pretty much everyone experiences the same thing every day. Then the electrician didn't show up to give us an estimate for the car charger installation.

Next, I got an email from Viridian that NStar had rejected the switch of our account to them.  That put a real damper on things as we were going to get 100% wind power from Viridian for $.08/kwh less than NStar.  We'd sort of counted on that for a decent chunk of our EV savings.  Viridian didn't have a specific reason why.  I guess I'll be on the phone with NStar tomorrow.

Finally, we sort of screwed up the Facebook post causing most people to Like a pretty picture but not the actual blog.

The one bright spot of the day?  The LEAF performance.  Yesterday I spent driving staring at the pine tree hyper-miling gauge.  I ended the day with an effective range of 99 miles and 2 1/2 trees.  Today I decided to drive like a normal person.  Looking out the windscreen.  Keeping up with the other cars.  Actually accelerating.  Turning on the heat to keep my toes warm.  And guess what?  I ended the day with an effective range of 99 miles and 2 1/2 trees.  The clearly hyper-miling Audi gas burner I had to follow from Bedford to Concord center may have helped.

Anyway, I may end up paying more for electricity than I planned on but it looks like I'll be using less of it.

Yesterday's Statistics
  • Description: Commute to work
  • Starting Range: 85 miles
  • Miles Driven:  50.5 miles
  • Ending Range: 48 miles
  • High Temperature: 37
  • Low Temperature: 35
  • Wind: 00
  • Average MPKWh: 4.0
  • Average MPG: 24.5
  • Energy Cost/KWh (Wind): $0.0899
  • Delivery Cost/KWh: $0.092
  • Unleaded Regular/Gallon MA: $3.417
  • Savings/Mile: $0.094
  • Total Savings: $4.75
  • Lifetime Savings: $27.20

1 comment:

  1. Today was better. The electrician showed up and gave us a quote less than half the prior quote and Nstar said we'd be eligible to switch to Viridian in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete