LEAF Peepers

Monday, January 20, 2014

Get it While the Getting's Good

Being an EV early adopter has its perks. Not only does Nissan really, really, REALLY want you to have a great experience, the lack of a crowd can be nice in other ways, too. This weekend a friend invited me to coffee in Cambridge. I figured that without traffic, range would be no problem, even though it was highway the whole way. However, it was snowing. A wet, slushy snow and I knew my friend would be walking from Boston to Cambridge. I wanted to be able to offer her a ride home without risking range.


Solution? I used a public charger for the first time. I figured Cambridge of all places would surely have public chargers. Sure enough, my ChargePoint app found a charger right around the corner from the coffee shop. As I neared the coffee shop, I used the navigation system to click the charger icon which took me to the building. I drove down what seemed like a private alley, and didn't see anything. I had given up when, viola! There it was! My own special spot in Central Square, where finding a spot can be challenging.

Using the charger couldn't have been easier. I plugged it in and tapped my ChargePoint card. Done! $1.91 for two hours of parking is actually cheaper than a parking meter. And, for the time being, easier to find than a parking meter. I can only imagine that as EVs get more popular it's not going to be so easy to get these plum spots. So, it's time to get while the getting's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment